Thursday, April 14, 2011

Roots

This week I was working on one of my many flower beds when I ran into some BIG roots. I've had a flower bed on the north side of our front yard, next to a beautiful iron fence, for several years. There are day lillies and iris as well as mums during the fall season. In spite of all the times I've worked on the flower bed, it was not until I began digging to install a flexible edging to the bed that I discovered some big roots from the neighbor's tree. I dug with the shovel, cut the roots with a hand axe, and worked and worked until I had everything in place. It is all done now and will keep the soil in place during rains and the operation of our lawn sprinkling system. The roots were a total surprise, however. What appeared so beautiful and orderly in the flower bed really had some sneaky roots underneath. As I worked, it reminded me that in each of us there are hidden "roots" that often are exposed only when we're pushed, exposed by a comment or action, and it is no surprise to God. Jesus reminded us that it is out of the proceed evil things. If it were not for the saving work of Christ and the continuing ministry of the Holy Spirit, who knows what we would be capable of in this life. I'm so glad for God's grace and His finding me. I'm grateful for the work He does in my life each day to fashion me to be more like His only begotten Son. Sometimes removing roots in our lives can hurt but He will never waste anything. His purpose is to enrich us so that we can truly live the abundant life. There are lessons in a garden AND there are lessons in a life. Rejoice in both of them.

No comments: