Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I love working in our yard and garden area. It has always been a kind of therapy for me. I can think while I'm working, enjoy the great outdoors, follow the progress of the various plants, bushes and lawn. Here in Kansas with our extreme temperatures it also helps to have a sprinkling system for our lawn. In our case, we have a well just for the lawn so we don't use expensive city water.
Recently while working in the yard, I realized that our yard is rather unique. We live in a fast-changing area where homes are very modest and most, like ours, are about sixty years old. More and more of the homes are bought and rented so there is often a large turnover in neighbors. Of the eleven houses on our block (we have a school across the street) only four have been here longer than we have owned our home.
I'm not complaining because we love our home of less than 900 square feet. But what is unusual is our yard, especially our backyard. While the entire yard is well landscaped, our backyard has many flowers, rose bushes, crepe myrtle, and other wonderful flowering bushes. Many of my neighbors have backyards that are full of junk, some have grass at least two feet tall, and cars are often parked on the lawns. It is unsightly while our "little piece of tranquility" is in stark contrast to the other neighbors. It's not that I'm in a contest but I enjoy gardening, and believe that we are caretakers of what God gives us. Beauty needs no excuse. It inspires and provides a wonderful refuge from life's other experiences.
Most Christians are familiar with Romans 12:2 where Paul tells us not to be conformed to this world but to be transformed by the renewing of our mind. J. B. Phillips' translation of that verse states it this way: "...don't let the world squeeze you into its mold."
Just as our yard is different from those around us, we who call upon Christ are called to be different. Why? We are different because we belong to Him and seek no longer to live by our rules but by His design for our life. We will often look "out of place" but the result of walking with Him should show. It's not for personal accolades that we serve Him but for His glory.
My yard brings me enjoyment but it also reminds me that I constantly have to combat weeds, remember that it really belongs to Him, and that every day is a day to give thanks and glorify Him.

No comments: