Thursday, February 10, 2011

I confess to being somewhat challenged when it comes to modern cell phones and the various tasks one can perform in using them. I do not text and I do not have a cell phone that can access the internet. You can imagine the comments from my family and my grandchildren.
I was surprised and amused when I viewed a news item recently that announced one can now "make confession" in the Roman church with the use of an iphone. For just $1.99, you can access a site, confess your sin, and receive absolution. In fairness, it must also be noted that this is "not meant to replace the confession booth."
What appears to be convenient has replaced the traditional. I certainly do not agree with either the confessional or the iphone approach. In fact, I Timothy 2:5 is clear that Jesus is our mediator, not man. Further, I John 1:9 tells us that we can confess our sins and be assured that God will hear us, forgive our sins and "cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I need neither the booth or the iphone. Our privilege, as children of God, is to approach the Father through the Son whom He has made Heir of all things. I can do this anywhere and at any time.
What a glorious gift from the One who gave Himself as a ransom for all (I Tim. 2:6). This truth makes today and tomorrow worth living. Rejoice!!

No comments: