Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Lesson From My Grandson

I recently took my grandson to brunch at a local restaurant and afterwards, we had coffee at a well-known coffee shop.  He's about to turn sixteen and the thrill of having coffee is a kind of adult passage.  I reminded him I didn't have coffee until college because my parents considered coffee an "adult drink."
   While I paid for the late breakfast, he insisted on paying for the coffee.  He went to the counter, ordered two cups of coffee and help up his cell phone to a device on the counter and paid for the coffee.  Was I surprised!!  Once again, technology ruled the day and I learned how very "hip" he is about electronic devices and how I'm way behind the curve.
    Thinking about the experience brings pleasant thoughts because we enjoyed a good conversation, he educated me about the cell phone, and we had two great leather chairs to sit in while watching the world go by.  It was wonderful.   However, I don't know if I'll ever catch on to the changes in communication.  
     What I am certain of in this age of continuing change is that Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  Heaven and earth may pass away and the world change but God's love and the work of Christ on the cross will always be the same.  His love and grace are unchanging and no matter what may come, Jesus never fails.   Today is another day to rejoice...no matter the changes that seem to affect the older generation the most.

No comments: